Thursday 26 June 2014

We have control!

While I wait for all my parts to come in, I've built a prototype controller based on an arduino to test out controlling the sound-chip of the gameboy:


In the video above, there are 3 inputs:
  • Push button - for playing a note
  • Potentiometer - for changing the pitch of a note
  • Ultrasonic sensor - for changing the duty cycle of the square wave

This project is all based around MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) - I'm planning to build four instruments that use MIDI to control the sound-chip of the gameboy - a lead, chord, bass and drum instrument hence '8-bit band'.  I have to say many thanks to Sprites mods for the link cable to midi design without this, the project wouldn't be possible: http://spritesmods.com/?art=gbamidi&page=2

The first of these instruments I'm working on is a bass instrument. You play the note on a pressure sensitive softpot touch strip and alter the sound with a joystick and by tilting the instrument.



my rough sketch for bass instrument inputs


I'm using the parts from a wii nunchuk for the accelerometer and joystick (keeping the instrument styling game themed!) As the nunchuck has arrived, that's what I'm working on next.

1 comment:

  1. Hi bro, Greetings from Mexico.

    My name is Andrés and Im really interested in your project.
    Could you tell me if you use a cartridge like LSDJ??
    could you share the code arduino?

    This is mi e-mail: cheche_200695@hotmail.com
    be grateful if you can help me.
    Thanks for all.

    ReplyDelete